Criterion Acoustics is a full-service design firm specializing in architectural acoustics, audiovisual systems, and technology solutions. We provide project specific, engineered solutions for complex problems.
- AV System Design
- Educational Recording Studio Design
- Environmental Noise Control
- Forensic Analysis and Expert Testimony
- Internal Room Acoustics
- Lunch and Learn; AIA Approved Courses
- Mechanical/Electrical/Plumbing Systems Noise Control
- Product Procurement
- Recording Studio Design
- Sound Isolation Engineering
- Structureborne Noise and Vibration Control
- Audio Systems Design
- DSP Programming
- Hospitality & Gaming Systems Design
- Loudspeaker Modeling
- Performing Arts Systems Design
- Recording Facilities Systems Design
- Retail Spaces Systems Design
- Sound Masking
- Speech Intelligibility
- studio design for educational recording studios
- Systems Calibration & Tuning
We believe that successful acoustical design is the balance of creating solutions to meet both the client’s expectations and their budget. By working with our clients to understand the intended use of a space, we are able to determine the driving factor of the design. Our background in performing arts and recording facility design allows us to work on large and multifaceted projects – where complex design, advanced acoustical measurement and modeling techniques are crucial to the success of the project.
Through effective communication, we provide acoustical designs that are well aligned with the proposed use. By using advanced measurement and modeling techniques, we provide solutions based on accurate predictions to achieve the ultimate design solution, which also allows us to remain budget conscious. Criterion Acoustics is committed to designing tailored solutions on a per project basis. We avoid reusing standard designs as this leads to over-designing and increased cost. We remain current on new electro-acoustic solutions including active noise cancellation technology and digital signal processing for effective noise control. By considering both architectural and electro-acoustic solutions, we achieve better results with a well-rounded approach.
David Kotch - President
David Kotch has worked in nearly every facet of the audio industry. From 1998 to 2004, he designed and optimized live sound systems for Broadway Theater and live concert tours. After 2004, David focused his energy on acoustical consulting through work with a number of high profile acoustical consulting firms.
David has expertise in sound and vibration isolation, acoustical measurement, systems optimization and design, and computer aided acoustical modeling. His extensive industry experience and multifaceted approach allow him to deliver creative solutions for a wide variety of unique situations. David’s areas of interest include performing arts, recording studio design, hospitality, education, fitness, and broadcast facilities.
David graduated with honors in Architecture from Lehigh University. He has been invited to speak at several national AES conferences and teach for AIA CES credits. He was awarded the Pro AV Spotlight Award in 2010 for his work on the Dolan Studios at NYU.
David is a member of the Audio Engineering Society (AES), Acoustical Society of America (ASA), Institute of Noise Control Engineering (INCE) as well as an approved noise consultant with the New York City Department of Environmental Protection (NYC DEP).
Sam Neff - Vice President
Sam Neff joined Criterion Acoustics in 2012. He specializes in complex noise isolation, acoustical measurement and computer modeling projects. He has extensive hands-on experience in architectural acoustics, noise control and A/V systems design. Sam applies his academic background, love of music, and industry experience toward a broad range of project types from performing arts centers and educational facilities to nightclubs and recording studios.
Sam graduated with a B.S in Computer Science from the University of Colorado, Boulder in 2003 and completed graduate course work in the field of Recording Arts in 2008 at the University of Colorado, Denver.
Sam is a member of the Audio Engineering Society (AES), Acoustical Society of America (ASA), Institute of Noise Control Engineering (INCE) as well as an approved noise consultant with the New York City Department of Environmental Protection (NYC DEP).
Employment and Internships
We are always looking for well-qualified individuals to join our team. Please submit your resume along with a cover letter if you think you would be a good fit.
Currently, we are looking for someone to assist us in our NY office either part-time or full time. The ideal candidate would possess:
- 4 year bachelor’s degree in an engineering or architectural field
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as an acoustical consultant
- Strong drafting abilities in Revit
- Experience with Bruel & Kjaer test equipment
- Experience with acoustic modeling and real-time analysis software, including Odeon, EASE, Soundplan, INSUL, TAP, EASERA
- Experience with DSP programming, including Labgruppen Lake, Peavey MediaMatrix and BSS systems
We are also looking for interns for both NY and Denver offices. The ideal candidate would possess:
- Working towards 4 year bachelor’s or master’s degree in an engineering or architectural field
- Strong drafting abilities in Revit
- Desire to learn more about working in a real-world acoustical consulting environment.
2014 ©Criterion Acoustics